Monday, October 03, 2005

A Joke Backfired

As you can see from the ‘MPA Photo Competition’ blog entry, my labmates put a lot of effort in decorating my desk while I was away in HK last year. And since then it has been a ritual among our office bay that whoever goes on holiday risks coming back to a very different desk. Well, this time when I was away in Sydney, my labmates emptied my desk (I didn’t take a photo of it coz it would just be a picture of a boring empty desk). They packaged everything in boxes and hidden them away in another office. What I had to do to retrieve my stuff back was to work out and follow short clues around the lab and get to the final destination. It was fun. Apparently, they were able to pull this joke off because my desk was (relatively) neat so it was easy for them to pack. Well, this happened around a month ago. And today when I wanted to update my lab book (a lab book is like a scientist’s diary so people can see the process of each discovery or for the purpose of repeating experiments in the future), I couldn’t find them – all 5 of them since Honours! Amazingly, I am not panicking as yet… but my labmates are. They are running around and trying to think back a month ago! And no – I didn’t hide my lab books to get them back! So right now, basically the history of my scientific career has gone missing!

No comments: