Friday, October 07, 2005

Astrology and Horoscopes

I have always been skeptical about astrology and horoscopes. To some extent, it is a type of science but really it’s not. Astrology is more like a pseudoscience that claims the positions of the planets and sun and moon influence the course of natural earthly occurrences and human affairs. Astronomy, on the other hand, is a real science – the study of celestial bodies and the universe as a whole. Ok, well maybe when I was young I used to read up about my star sign – Cancer. But then I have turned to realise, are there only 12 general types of people on the face of the earth? What made me more doubtful about astrology is that my mum and I share the same birthday and it’s no surprise that we are so totally different! You may argue that the year of birth has an affect on the ‘readings’ but I know a guy who we share the same date of birth and we are like two ends of a pole. So it really makes you wonder!

Being a big fan of Matrix, the theory of cause and effect flashes in my head whenever I think about horoscopes. I tend to question whether I am agreeing with the description of my star sign or am I unconsciously trying to become what’s said about Cancer in the books. Sometimes the description of the horoscopes are so generalised that I can easily be fit into other star sign at different stages of my life. Sure, I was a very typical Cancerian before but through the years of growing up and other external factors, I may have become less fitting into the Cancer description. But my date of birth hasn’t change, has it!

What about daily horoscopes, this is mine from The Age today – “It is necessary not to let business or work woes weigh you down. Focus some of your attention away from that area and work on maintaining a positive and healthy attitude towards it. The evening fares well, and all aspects of socialising are highlighted.” Well, what did I tell ya – they are so generalised! I don't think I need the horoscope to tell me about maintaining positive healthy attitides towards things that are not going well, and they always finish the ‘reading’ with optimism. I don’t know, I guess I am highly unconvinced and maybe I am just a person that believes in controlling my own destiny.

No comments: