Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Medical dramas - 1

Apparently I am now known as the med-addict by my friends. Not that I want to become a doctor, as I never did and probably never will, but it’s the TV shows that I am drawn into which gave me that name. At the moment, there are Grey’s Anatomy, House M.D. and Healing Hands 3 (HK series) on TV, and I try my very best not to miss an episode of any of these shows. To be honest though, I have never seen an episode of ER or Scrubs. I don’t think it’s the context of these shows that capture me. For instance, I don’t watch it for the treating technique, diseases or conditions that they describe. I like these shows for the universal themes that they convey. No matter what your nationality is, what you do, or how successful you are, there are things that we cannot escape – life and death, sickness and recovery. I think it’s because as I am growing older and so are the people around me that these themes are hitting me face-on. Maybe that’s why I was never a fan of ER – I didn’t get it back then.

Doctors are humans too, no matter how strong you try to detach your feelings or force your emotions not to surface, experiencing those you care for leave you day in day out is not easy. Not only for doctors, I am sure we have the feeling of helplessness once in awhile and it’s so frustrating. No matter how much you try and try, but still nothing comes out of it at the end is just heart-breaking. Is it good enough to just settle with the best you can do? Is it even enough for just trying?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently there is only one guarantee in life - and that's 'death'.
Hence this raises the question why do we try so hard in life, if we know that we are going to die.
But I guess we are all just born to try… born to live in this world…
Life can seem to be unfair at times, but eventually happiness and hardship do even out.

Satorare said...

each day we wake up, we are closer to the day that we are going to die. it's a sad concept but it's the inevitable. each night i look back on the day n see whether i have really lived the day, if there's no regrets or hard feelings to sleep on - it was a good day. if on the other hand, that day could've been better, i work harder the next day and try to make a difference. i guess my point is sometimes although we know what the ending may be, we try our hardest to enjoy the moments and make our presence worth while.

Anonymous said...

I always believed that sometimes it is not the destination that matters but the journey itself that really matters. We all know each minute we live is a minute closer to our death, but since we are living may as well make the most of it while we can. Therefore, don’t get too bogged down with your work, go out, take a walk, stope and smell the roses from time to time :)
Have to say, Scrubs was also a good show, really really funny at times.

Anonymous said...

Depends on what you are as a person. If you're after an edge, exciting times & have the competitiveness, then you will try hard in life and go through the hardships to reach light at end of tunnel; even though we have a thought at back of our minds that we will die one day. But hell, thats LIFE. To put it in a positive way, thats what LIVING is all about. Forget about DYING, that is what everyone will go through at some stage. Its the way that you LIVE your life that is unique!