As most of you know, my supervisor (Pete) left me this year. He is still having inputs in my research and all but he is not physically present in the lab. And because of this, I am gaining two more supervisors to look after me. These two supervisors were always there from day 1 but I wasn’t really their responsibilities until now. On one side, it’s good to have more and diverse perspectives on board for my project – this is particularly important in the science field. But then I am fearing the inevitable difference in opinions. It hasn’t happen yet and I guess it is pretty much out of my control anyway. What I am finding difficulties coming in terms with recently about work is the amount of time I will be spending in meetings every week. Before Pete left, it was around 4hrs/week but now, it will mount up to more than 8hrs/week. I understand it is important that I report my progress to make sure I won't go off track but it is very frustrating when it is my responsibility to actually get some work done when instead all my time has been taken away by needless meetings.
There is a shared telephone in the office area of the lab and my desk happens to be very close to it. Whenever I am at my desk and the phone rings, I don’t mind getting it. I go around the lab and look for the person the call is for – that’s fine. Usually the (work-related) phone calls last less than a minute. But I hate it when the person just keeps talking on and on and on… I don’t intend to listen on the conversation but I am literally right next to it! Another thing that annoys me is that people that are closer to the phone deliberately not answer it coz they don’t want to run around looking for the person the call is for. It’s not as if other people hasn’t done the same for you!
*Sigh* I am still ranting… it’s making me look like I don’t like my work – but I do! Recently, I am looking for more music to listen to at work coz I am constantly on my headphones. Not only is it because of trying to avoid listening on people’s phone conversation but also some new people arrived and they happen to occupy the desks around me. They are nice people but once in awhile they get quite talkative… actually too talkative! I don’t mind that they have lots to talk about but can’t they do it some place where people are not working?
There is a shared telephone in the office area of the lab and my desk happens to be very close to it. Whenever I am at my desk and the phone rings, I don’t mind getting it. I go around the lab and look for the person the call is for – that’s fine. Usually the (work-related) phone calls last less than a minute. But I hate it when the person just keeps talking on and on and on… I don’t intend to listen on the conversation but I am literally right next to it! Another thing that annoys me is that people that are closer to the phone deliberately not answer it coz they don’t want to run around looking for the person the call is for. It’s not as if other people hasn’t done the same for you!
*Sigh* I am still ranting… it’s making me look like I don’t like my work – but I do! Recently, I am looking for more music to listen to at work coz I am constantly on my headphones. Not only is it because of trying to avoid listening on people’s phone conversation but also some new people arrived and they happen to occupy the desks around me. They are nice people but once in awhile they get quite talkative… actually too talkative! I don’t mind that they have lots to talk about but can’t they do it some place where people are not working?

No comments:
Post a Comment