From my experiences, assumptions usually come about from the lack of communication and they can result in a number of quite absurd conclusions. A recent example is with Paul (director of my workplace) – he assumes what he’s doing is for the best of my interest but because of that, it’s actually causing me more headaches. He also assumes what I have planned for the next year won’t work out based on his past experience with previous students. And of course I don’t have a really good solid argument against this coz I can’t confidently say what is and what’s not going to happen in the future. But given the knowledge of previous events, the people involved in the present situation will surely avoid a repetition. One thing that I can confidently say is that there will be a lot of convincing in order to change Paul’s state of mind…
I had a conversation with a friend yesterday and it’s amazing how her assumptions led her to associate unrelated events together, turned them into linked stories and somehow these became facts of her memories. I have no idea how she does it but this led me to think of the power of assumptions! So next time before jumping to conclusions, re-think whether your assumptions are legitimate from the first place.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Assumptions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment