Just had a meeting with a supervisor this morning and talked about potential experiments I may want to do to finish off my PhD. Normally it's the student who react by saying - no, no more experiments otherwise there's not enough time to write up the thesis. In my case, it's the other way around, my supervisor is sceptical whether I can fit everything in with the limited time frame. Is it a necessity to do those experiments for my thesis or can they be done after I hand in? Will it break or make my thesis or it's just a bonus if I do them? Sigh... stressed! Another thing that needs to be considered is that there's a chance those experiments will need to be done overseas. So, we need to weigh out the risks and rewards. Will the resultant rewards (if any) be worthwhile for taking the risks?
Risks - time; inconclusive results; inappropriate to fit into my thesis; pull me away from what I should be doing (i.e. writing up instead of doing more experiments)
Rewards - novel discovery; name on a great paper; get to work overseas for a short period of time and meet people.

2 comments:
I was going to type all these different comments but then I realised that I couldn't really come out with a solution for myself too! Well I think this is a continuing career path for you. It's not like I'm just trying to finish the degree and get a job. It really depends on which way will benefit your path more. A name on the paper? Or a better grade in your thesis? ^.^
Don't do it man! there will never be an end to it. On your way to doing those experiments other ideas will come in and you'll ponder whether or not doing those as well are feasible -
Post a Comment