Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tennis, penguins and ankle

It's been awhile since I last posted - what's new? Well, other than another busted ankle and some hiccups with experiments, not much... Nah, there were some high points - I went to another Australian Open this year. It was a little different this time round coz we bought reserved tickets in advanced which means we didn't have to line up for half a day to get into the stadium to enjoy some tennis. It was an enjoyable and cool day - to tell you the truth, even though I have been to the tennis every year since 1999, I still managed to get lost in Melbourne Park.

Went to Phillip Island to see the penguins on Australia Day. Apparently I have been when I was a kid, but I seriously don't have any memory of seeing the penguins before. It was a great day for a day trip but since we were seeing the penguins at night, we didn't leave the city till late arvo. The drive was ok, just a little bumpy. When we arrived at the Penguin Parade, it was fully packed with tourists from China, Japan, etc. as well as families with little kiddies. The sky was getting dark and the night wind was starting to kick into effect. It wasn't a long wait till we saw the first couple of "little penguins" hitting to shores. It's quite funny how the penguins have to wait for a large enough group of them before they confidently walk/dash onto the beach and back to their burrows. We watched a few of these arrivals before we walked back to the fenced boardwalk to have a closer look at their way back to their individual burrows. The penguins were soooooooo cute! We even witnessed a fight between 2 female penguins and a male (penguin)... It was pretty late by the time we headed back home and it was very tiring driving at night if it wasn't for the double latte!

What happened to my ankle this time? Well, I got in the way of an opponent shooting for goal in soccer and I guess my ankle went bang. It was quite painful but I shook it off and played on (stop shaking your head). Had a x-ray and it isn't borken, just badly bruised and swollen so not to worry! A couple of days of intense icing should be alright.

No comments: