Thursday, August 17, 2006

Day without a thumb

I injured my left thumb while playing soccer earlier in the week. At first, I thought I would be alright coz at least this time I can actually walk and move around without feeling the pain. But when the adrenaline subsided and I was in my car on the way home, I can deeply feel the effect of the injured thumb. I couldn’t put my seat-belt on normally; I had to reach over and shift the gears with my right hand instead (lucky I drive auto), and there was no way I can grip a water bottle properly. Bottom line – it was pretty sore and swollen. When I got home, I iced the thumb straight away, at that stage it was pretty much immobilised. I wasn’t too worried about the thumb coz since it wasn’t dislocated or anything it should heal within the next couple of days, I was more worried about doing micro-surgeries the next day. Fortunately, after a night of icing, I could move the thumb slightly to complete my task at work. The only problems I had were things more trivial and things that we take for granted when the thumb was functional – eg. Getting change, especially buttoning the jeans, holding the dinner plate properly, picking up the remote control, pushing the toothpaste out, turning the taps, etc… Only now do I realise that I don’t use my left thumb to type!

No comments: