There was an Open Night at Glenny last night – it’s a night organised by the school to show itself off to the parents of potential Year 7 enrolees. A friend brought up the idea to go back and have a look around the school that we haven’t been to for 7 years! Seven years is not really a long time but for a school that’s always changing and attempting to be the best (of the best), a lot of things have differed. As we entered the school, our first stop was the library, which has now transformed to a posh Art Centre. I did Art back in the days – it was one of those subjects that I actually enjoy going to coz I was with my friends and it wasn’t a subject I need to study for – but if I am a student now, I think I would appreciate this subject much more! Instead of having classes in a dodgy and dark old art basement, the Art Centre is bright, modern and somewhat luxurious. When we were inside, we had difficulties in orientating ourselves and had to constantly remind ourselves this used to be library. To get back to familiarity, we went upstairs to the Senior Centre – a place that I spent quite some time in but never really got attached to. There, was my first approach to the past for the night. My middle school English teacher had the job of stationing at the Senior Centre last night and he introduced us to the new technologies and endless constructions around the school. The most impressive thing I thought was that he still recognises me. I don’t think he can put a name to my face but he remembered that I used to be in his class. When we finally told him which year we graduated, I think he understood why we can no longer identify some of the new structures around the school.
Moving onto the Sci-Tech Centre – a place I definitely spent a lot of time in during the last two years of school, it has left me with many memories. Not much has changed in general on the outside but as we walked into each classroom in an attempt to search for familiar faces, we couldn’t find any. Most of the teachers are new and fairly young. Some of the rooms that were once just for storage have turned into proper offices. Then it kind of hit me that the school is at a phrase of transition, not only for the buildings but its staff as well. Seven years is not a short time, it’s sufficient for another lot of students to finish a full course of secondary education. Obviously, a lot has happened during these seven years to the school as evident by the recent developments. But because we have been living through the seven years individually, it’s easy for us to forget about how much we have changed personally. Sometimes, it takes a journey down the memory lane to remind ourselves how much we have come.
I am still in argument with my friends about where our locker bays used to be but other than that, I’m quite impressed by the resources that the school provides for its students (more than ever). If I was a parent, Glenny would definitely be a school I would consider for my kids to grow up in.
Next stop – my primary school!
Moving onto the Sci-Tech Centre – a place I definitely spent a lot of time in during the last two years of school, it has left me with many memories. Not much has changed in general on the outside but as we walked into each classroom in an attempt to search for familiar faces, we couldn’t find any. Most of the teachers are new and fairly young. Some of the rooms that were once just for storage have turned into proper offices. Then it kind of hit me that the school is at a phrase of transition, not only for the buildings but its staff as well. Seven years is not a short time, it’s sufficient for another lot of students to finish a full course of secondary education. Obviously, a lot has happened during these seven years to the school as evident by the recent developments. But because we have been living through the seven years individually, it’s easy for us to forget about how much we have changed personally. Sometimes, it takes a journey down the memory lane to remind ourselves how much we have come.
I am still in argument with my friends about where our locker bays used to be but other than that, I’m quite impressed by the resources that the school provides for its students (more than ever). If I was a parent, Glenny would definitely be a school I would consider for my kids to grow up in.
Next stop – my primary school!

1 comment:
Sounds great! Even better... we should have a gathering there. ^.^
Post a Comment