Friday, January 06, 2006

Letters from the Past

Back in high school, I was one of those people who wrote letters to friends. People often wonder why the hell would you write letters to people that you see everyday anyway. Then I want to ask what is there to talk about for people that spend countless hours on the phone. I guess for me, writing has always been my better form of communication, it allows me to get my point across more effectively. I still do keep all the letters people wrote to me and in the early years I used to look through at them and reminisce those years. I haven’t touched them for a long time now because I guess you have to move on one day. Recently, I had a chance to look back on some of the letters I wrote to a friend back in high school. I was very surprised at what I wrote, my first reaction to them was – Oh my god, I wrote that! I was such a different person back then and I am sure to say I have definitely moved on!! What struck me the most were the things that bothered me in those years, they seem so minuscule now but I am sure they were the world to me back then.

A couple of weeks ago, an anxious undergrad came up to me and asked for my advice on honours. We had a good chat and it felt really strange that I talked as if honours was a piece of cake (of coz it wasn’t and very far from it) and I told her she will be fine. Seriously, do you think she will really take my advice and not worry so much – of coz not! I can only tell her that it’s a stage that she chose to go through, coz I truly believe no one can force anyone to do anything. Like a lot of things, don’t take it as a thing that you dread, rather it’s a hurdle that you will overcome and succeed in flying colours. In a couple of years, she will be sitting in my chair and talk about it like I did to another student. I guess the bottom line is that you can get very frustrated and lost with the painful task in hand (eg. overcoming emotional burden, academic difficulties, being away from loved ones, facing an unclear future), and you may think it’s the worst thing ever, but give it time, patience and hard work, this stage will soon be over. Whatever you are going through can only make you a stronger person afterwards. Sure, it is easier said then done, but you will be saying the same thing to the next person…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY how come I never got any letters from you back when we were in high school huh?! did you 'conveniently forgot' to write to me?!!! I am deeply distorted here. Tell you what, i'll make it even if you show me some of those letters..or post it up on your blog so i can read it in my leisure hmm?

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, I've done the same thing. I was cleaning my room the other day and came across letters I wrote to my friends and sister and oh my god, it was so embarrasing, like u said, " I can't believe I wrote that!". But I guess its all part of growing up, you won't be where you are today without going through that period!